Oliver Briggs

3D Printing and Fusion 360 Enthusiast
I am a Fusion 360 Instructor in the UK. I am also the community manager of the Autodesk Ambassador Hub, Autodesk's Education Community

Propeller Shaft Key Spooning

Incredibly specific question but I have been trying to help a client model this part and so far have been failing!

It is effectively a complex fillet at the end of a key slot on a propeller shaft.
The spoon shape is required to be present to relieve pressure on the key and so I am trying to model it so it can be machined instead of being done by hand as it is at the moment.

The problem is that I have been struggling to get the shape. It has to be a smooth fillet to satisfy the requirements.

I have tried sweeping it with a guide rail, lofting it with several planes, using form and surfacing to manually model the shape! I even had a quick go at horizon modelling but the closest I have got is with the sweep. Unfortunately it still isn’t good enough 😩

It seems like such a basic shape so I wanted to check that I wasn’t missing something really obvious or if anyone had any ideas about how they would model it!

I have attached some images although they aren’t very clear. It is the spoon shaped fillet at the end of the slot!

Thanks! 

Solidworks to Fusion transition tips!

Hi everyone! 
I am teaching a Fusion 360 class on Thursday to a company who want to transition over to Fusion. 
Currently the people I am teaching use Solidworks, Catia and FreeCAD. 

I haven’t used Catia or FreeCAD before and it’s been a while since I touched solidworks so I was wondering what anyone who has used any of them thought were the key differences with Fusion. 

What did you find difficult to get a hang of when you transitioned to Fusion or what would be the best advice that I could give the people I am training? 

All help is much appreciated! 

Alexa Echo Dot Lamp

Having had a lot of fun on my Alexa Rocket Case I thought I would have a go at a design with a bit more functionality!

This lamp fits an echo dot in its centre and passively amplifies the sound through the base to make it louder! The base is split into two parts along the edges of the amplifying horns so that it can be milled from wood (although not the easiest milling operation, you can see the two part separate on the thangs upload!) 
On the top the buttons are still accessible and the light ring can be seen. The light bulb and lampshade are supported by a generatively designed support which can be 3D printed (although again not a partially easy print!) The Alexa and lamp wires run through the centre of the base and out the bottom for easy cable management. 

Whilst not ideal for mass manufacture it would defiantly be possible to manufacture if you had the right equipment! 

Thangs Link: https://thangs.com/oliverbriggs/Alexa-Lamp-14052
#PDOhomedevice

Like Comment

Alexa Echo Rocket Case

I thought I would have a go at the smart devices challenge! This is a case designed for the full size Alexa Echo and modelled in Fusion 360. It is shaped to look like a rocket but uses organic shapes to make it a bit more interesting and to allow the speakers to still give out good volume with a fully enclosed case! Added a few books etc for reference in the render! 😃
Thangs Link: https://thangs.com/oliverbriggs/Amazon-Alexa-Echo-Rocket-Case-13832
#PDOhomedevice
Like Comment

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone! 
Its great to be here! 
I started using Fusion 360 almost 4 years ago as part of my university degree and nowadays I do quite a lot of teaching it both online and in person (when its possible)
I do a lot of 3D printing both at uni and at home and love taking part in projects and competitions where I can!
I am also one of the community managers for the Autodesk Ambassador Hub (Autodesk's Education Community) so it is great to be here on this community! I am really looking forward to seeing how the community develops!